The “Big Three” institutional investors, BlackRock, State Street Global Advisors and Vanguard, have significant influence on the environmental, social and governance (ESG) policies and related disclosure for public companies. In this annual publication, we provide the latest thinking of the Big Three on key ESG topics. Companies are well-advised to review these policies and guidance in planning for engagement with the Big Three throughout the year, and in considering ESG disclosures going forward.
In this Guide, we:
- Provide ESG-focused practice pointers for public companies to consider in light of these policies and guidance
- Highlight changes to the proxy voting policies and guidance of the Big Three on ESG topics for 2023
- Summarize the expectations of the Big Three as to company practices and disclosures around selected ESG topics
- Identify areas of vulnerability in director elections, and
- Provide links to relevant proxy voting policies and related guidance